If you are accepted into our program, payment in full must be received by April 1 in order for us to save your space in Newsroom by the Bay. Applications are competitive and rolling; as soon as you are notified that you are admitted, you may pay and reserve your space.
Program fees for Summer 2020 are:
- Returning student OR early bird residential (pay by March 1): $4,250.00
- Regular residential: $4,750.00
- Commuter: $2,500.00
We also charge an application and processing fee of $100 for accepted students only.
The program fee includes:
- (Residential students only) Double-occupancy room in our assigned Stanford dormitory (14 days/13 nights). We make all room assignments, but let us know if you have special needs.
- (Residential students only) Three meals per day at Stanford’s award-winning student cafeterias (includes a kickoff dinner after your arrival on Sunday, June 28, and breakfast on Saturday, July 11).
- (Commuter students only) Lunch at Stanford’s student cafeteria plus Sunday kickoff dinner and Friday closing showcase dinner; commuters may also purchase lunch or dinner meal tickets for any day.
- iPads, digital cameras, desktop computers, mobile media kits and other equipment for students during class, afternoon lab time and evening team work sessions.
- Program materials, including NBTB T-shirt, water bottle, reporters’ notebooks, readings and handouts;
- All field trip transportation, boxed lunch, afternoon treats and tickets to museums, baseball games or stadium tours, or other events depending on how student news teams plan their field trips.
Day passes to Stanford athletic facilities are not included in the program fee but may be purchased independently once you arrive. Passes cost $10 in 2019. Weekly and daily parking passes may be purchased from NBTB after the program begins. Daily “scratchers” cost $5 and weekly passes were $30 in 2019.
Newsroom by the Bay’s refund policy
Because the number of program participants is limited, program fees are non-refundable after May 1, 2020, except in such case that an accepted participant provides notice to NBTB of that participant’s desire to withdraw from the program and NBTB is able to fill the participant’s space. Refunds include the program fee only (not the application fee) minus the transaction charge incurred depending on the type of payment (Intuit Quickbooks or PayPal).
1. If your student is accepted, you will receive an invoice from us directly. See below for an example of a residential student paying by the early deadline. Click on “review and pay” to process payment including the application fee:
2. Pay by clicking one of the PayPal buttons below:
- Residential Program Fee for returning students OR early bird discount (pay by March 1)
- Regular Residential Program Fee (pay by April 1)
- Commuter Program Fee (pay by April 1)
Note: In order to use PayPal, you’ll need to create an account if you don’t have one already. There is no cost to you for using PayPal.
3. Write a check payable to “Newsroom by the Bay LLC” for the correct amount (residential or commuter program fee plus $100 application fee) and mail it to Newsroom by the Bay, P.O. Box 20105, Stanford, CA 94305-9991. Full payment must be received (not postmarked) by April 1. We charge a fee of $50 for returned checks.
Questions? Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.