Here below are some frequently asked questions and answers for students traveling to Newsroom by the Bay from outside the U.S. If you don’t find the information you need here, please email us at and we’ll be glad to help.

We monitor travel restrictions as issued by the Trump administration and the Department of State. These include new visa requirements for travel from countries where citizens have not been required to secure visas for travel to the U.S. in the past. If you have questions about visa requirements, the best approach is to contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in your city directly for the best and latest information. Please let us know if you require an invitation letter from us in order to secure a visa. Our letter will include the dates of our program only, not any travel you may wish to do before or after NBTB.

In addition to these FAQs, please be sure to read our residential FAQs for more information on your stay at Stanford.

Which airport is best for me for my arrival and departure?
We recommend that you fly into and out of San Francisco International Airport, which is approximately 45 minutes from campus and has an international terminal with shops, restaurants, and other services especially for international travelers. We do not offer airport pickup to Oakland or San Jose airports, though they are also in the Stanford area.

What if I’m arriving from overseas? Will you pick me up?
Due to the length of travel, we do offer complimentary airport pickup to students who come to us from overseas. Students can make arrangements and pay for their return to the airport once they arrive at camp. If you are one of our international students, please make sure to email your arrival flight information to us at as soon as possible so that we can confirm your pickup arrangements.

I need to/want to arrive on Saturday? Can I do that?
We can accommodate a limited number of students on Saturday prior to our program start on Sunday. If you require an early arrival, please contact us as soon as possible at and let us know. Early arrival is complimentary for international students who attend schools overseas and whose trips to us originate from outside the U.S. Early arrival includes airport pickup, a campus tour, tickets to the Saturday night soccer game at Stanford Stadium, dinner plus breakfast and lunch on Sunday. We encourage students to rest upon arrival and to sleep if they must, but we also provide these activities and group meals in order to help students adjust to a new time zone.

Where will I eat? What about my special dining needs (halal, vegan, lactose-intolerant, gluten-free, other)?
Students and staff will eat at a spacious cafeteria that is adjacent to our dorm and is part of Stanford Dining’s award-winning food service. Expect several stations with a variety of American and ethnic cuisines (Asian, Mexican, Italian), plus a full salad bar and soft-serve ice cream. Students will not need money for meals unless they want to purchase snacks at Tresidder or a student coffeehouse; click here for a full list of campus eateries. All chicken at Stanford is halal. If you/your student has special dining needs, please look in your registration packet (emailed to you in April) for the Stanford Summer Conferences Special Dining Request, and send it back to us with your information so that we can inform Stanford in advance. There is no extra charge for this service or for special diets.

Does Newsroom by the Bay offer medical insurance? What if I/my student falls sick or is injured, and I do not have health insurance in the U.S.?
Neither NBTB nor Stanford offer health insurance to students in our program. As indicated by the Medical Emergency Form that students receive in their registration packets, we take students who are ill or injured to the nearest appropriate medical facility. If the illness or injury requires immediate treatment, this may include ambulance and/or emergency services. This cost is the responsibility of the student’s parents/guardians.

As you may know, in the U.S., the cost of such medical care without insurance can be quite expensive. For this reason, parents/guardians may wish to purchase health insurance from an international provider. We can direct you to and, which offer a selection of such providers. Please do not hesitate to contact us at if you have more questions or concerns.

Do I need a visa? Can NBTB help?
[Important note for Summer 2020: All camp participants and their families must monitor and comply with U.S. government travel alerts regarding COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), including restrictions on travel. As of Feb. 2, most foreign nationals who traveled to China within the 14 days immediately prior to arrival in the U.S. are barred from entry. Travel alerts may be found at the top of the State Department’s website. The Centers for Disease Control’s Situation Summary and the World Health Organization’s Coronavirus disease outbreak page also are good resources for information and updates.]

Students coming to NBTB from outside the U.S. should consult the U.S. State Department’s travel and study section for visa requirements. The U.S. Visa Waiver Program covers students from many countries (see below). But students must apply and receive approval from the Electronic Service for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to travel:

If a student’s country of residence is not on the VWP list, or if the student intends to stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days, the student will require a regular B2 tourist visa. If you/your student requires a visa in order to travel to and participate in our program, including a letter of invitation, please contact us at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s